Terms and Conditions
BritRail is a trademarked name of the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) of Britain and is the exclusive international representative of the UK's National Rail network.
BritRail is operated by ACP Rail International, a division of ACP Marketing (Ireland) Limited.
Reservations for particular journeys are rarely obligatory, but for busy trains are advisable. It is not necessary to validate a pass in order to reserve a seat / sleeping berth in advance. Normal fees are payable. Reservation fees guarantee space on a particular service, but not always a specific seat assignment. ACP Rail International can secure seat and sleeper reservations before your departure, ensuring a seat on the train you wish to travel on.
First Class and Standard Class
Holders of Adult / Child Standard Class passes or tickets may travel in First Class accommodations on payment of the difference between the First Class and Standard Class full fare of the journey being made. Holders of the Youth passes traveling in First Class accommodations will be regarded as traveling without a ticket, and will be charged the appropriate First Class fare for the journey being made. Many local trains in England, Scotland and Wales have Standard Class accommodation only. This has been accounted for in price of the First Class Passes.
Pass or ticket holders must be non-UK residents, unless sharing a BritRail Guest Pass. BritRail and its representatives may ask at any time for proof of foreign residency and reserve the right to confiscate the ticket or pass in such circumstances. The BritRail ticket is non-transferable and must only be used by the person or persons specified on the ticket.
The BritRail ticket or pass is not valid on Eurostar services, special excursions, Tyne and Wear Metro Trains (Newcastle-upon-Tyne area), Glasgow Underground trains, Manchester Metro link, road links between airports and railway stations, Docklands Light Railway, privately owned railways, steam services, London Underground trains and buses, ships, hovercraft, nor any other services not mentioned.
Passes are issued open dated and must be validated within six months from the date of issue and prior to the first use. To validate a rail pass, present it along with your passport to the Railway official at the station of departure. At this time, the first and the last day of validity of the pass as well as the passport number is entered and the passenger must sign the pass. Under no circumstances is the pass holder allowed to validate his or her own pass. In the case of a Flexipass, the passenger must enter the date of travel each day before he/she boards the first train of the day. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in the payment of a fine and the cost of a full fare ticket.
Privacy & Security
In cases where the user provides personal contact information and financial information, it is used solely for billing purposes and to fulfill customer orders. ACP Rail International is committed to respecting users’ privacy and protecting their personal information both online and off-line. This website takes every precaution to protect user information.
Prices on this website are quoted in the specified currency and were correct at the time of printing. BritRail reserves the right to change prices without notice whether such changes are related or not to alterations in the rates of exchange.
Refunds will be granted if:
- The unvalidated Pass, unused ticket or original exchange coupon or voucher is returned to the office from which it was purchased within 6 months from the date of issue, (unless a different time period is specified on this website).
- Passes or tickets must bear no evidence of having been tampered with in any way.
- No refund can be made in Britain.
- No refund can be made if the Pass or Ticket cannot be produced.
- Refunds are not given on validated Passes or tickets once the commencement date has been reached.
- Where a Pass forms part of an inclusive Tour Package, it is not separately refundable.
- Where no other cancellation charges are specified on this website, the cancellation charge will be a minimum of 15%.
- Special offers are not refundable.
- Neither the Participating Operators nor their Agents can accept any responsibility for any failure in the provision of any special offers included.
- Refunds should not be returned to the Freepost address listed on this ticket jacket.
- Seat and Sleeper reservations are non refundable.
BritRail is not responsible for tickets or vouchers, which are lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed. Refunds cannot be authorized in such cases. Therefore, travel insurance is recommended.
Rail Protection Plan
Trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Conditions for BritRail Products
A BritRail Point to Point Ticket (First Class and Standard Class) allows travel on any permitted route and on the services of Participating Operators in Great Britain (or temporary replacement road services).
General Conditions for all BritRail Consecutive and Flexipasses:
- Validated passes which include days when no train service operates (Christmas, etc.) will be extended by the number of days when no service operates.
- First Class Pass holders should note that some trains provide standard accommodation only. This is allowed for in the pricing of the First Class Pass.
- BritRail Passes are valid from 00:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs (Midnight to Midnight) on a chosen day of travel.
- If a pass holder is traveling on an overnight train containing sleeper accommodation, the next day’s date must be inserted. The BritRail Pass and the BritRail FlexiPass (First Class and Standard Class) allows travel on all scheduled trains of Participating Operators in Great Britain (or temporary replacement road services).
- BritRail Passes are valid on Gatwick Express, Heathrow Express and Stansted Express.
The BritRail England Passes: First Class and Standard Class are valid for travel only on scheduled trains of the Participating Operators. Any journey made onwards, outside the BritRail England Pass area boundary must be paid for in advance of boarding the relevant train i.e. a valid ticket must be held, otherwise penalty fares will be incurred. BritRail England Passes are valid on Gatwick Express, Heathrow Express and Stansted Express.
Boundary Stations for the BritRail England Passes: Carlisle, Berwick upon Tweed, Lydney, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Hereford, Bucknell, Shrewsbury, Chirk, Crewe, Chester, West Kirby.
- The BritRail Pass + Ireland (First Class and Standard Class) allows travel on all scheduled trains of Participating Operators in Great Britain and also those of Northern Ireland Railways and Iarnód Eireann (Irish Railways) in Northern Ireland and Ireland (or temporary replacement road services).
- Travel on the railways of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are subject to the conditions of carriage issued by the Northern Ireland Railways and Iarnród Eireann (Irish Railways).
- If a pass holder is traveling on an overnight train connection to or from the Rep. of Ireland or Northern Ireland, the next day’s date must be inserted.
- The BritRail Pass and Ireland does not include passage on any sea crossing between Great Britain and Ireland.
The BritRail London Plus Pass: Children 5-15 pay half the adult fare. Children under 5 travel free. The Pass includes 2 coupons for travel on either the Heathrow Express, Stansted Express or Gatwick Express (coupons need not be used on the same express). The Airport Express journeys do not use a day’s travel on the pass. Airport Express coupons are not separately refundable. The BritRail London Plus Pass for European residents does not include any Airport Express coupons.
Boundary Stations for the London Plus Pass: Harwich, Kings Lynn, Huntingdon, Bedford, Long Buckby, Stratford-upon-Avon, Worcester Foregate, Bedwyn, Salisbury, Bristol Temple Meads and Weymouth.
The BritRail South West Pass is valid on most mainline and branchline services operated by First Great Western, South West Trains and Heathrow Express trains. The BritRail South West Pass cannot be used to travel on the following routes: any train west of Swansea; any train between Gloucester and Newport via Chepstow; First Western’s Night Riviera sleeper service, unless a berth has been purchased in addition to the BritRail South West Pass; any train services east of Portsmouth, even if this route is operated by First Great Western; any route in South Wales other than the Newport – Cardiff – Swansea mainline; any service operated by Arriva Cross Country, Arriva Trains Wales, Chiltern, Southern, First Capital Connect, Southeastern or London Midland.
Boundary Stations for the BritRail South West Pass: London Paddington, Greenford, Marlow, Henley, Reading, Didcot, Oxford, Banbury, Hereford, Gloucester, Bristol Parkway, Cardiff, Swansea, Bristol Temple Meads, Weston-Super-Mare, Barnstaple, Gunnislake, Newquay, St.Ives, Penzance, Falmouth Docks, Looe, Exmouth, Weymouth, Portsmouth Harbour, Basingstoke and Gatwick Airport.
BritRail Central Scotland Pass: Adult Standard Class are valid for travel between Edinburgh, Glasgow Queen Street, North Berwick, Bathgate, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan, Stirling, the Fife Circle, Markinch, Falkirk and all intermediate stations. Also valid between Edinburgh Waverley, Brunstane and Newcraighall. Allows unlimited travel on Glasgow Underground (on presentation of the BritRail Central Scotland Pass, customers will be issued with an exchange ticket). BritRail Central Scotland Passes are not valid on services timed to depart before 0915 Monday to Friday.
BritRail Central Scotland Passes are not valid on special excursion trains, privately owned railways or Glasgow Airport Coach Links. BritRail Central Scotland Passes are not valid between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley.
The BritRail Freedom of Scotland Pass
- Valid on all scheduled daytime passenger trains for journeys wholly within Scotland, including National Express and Virgin trains to/from Carlisle and Berwick-upon Tweed. (Travelpass tickets cannot be used to travel before 0915 Mondays to Fridays, except between Glasgow-Oban/Fort William/Mallaig and Inverness-Kyle/Wick/Thurso.)
- 10% discount also available on Caledonian Sleeper Standard fares when travelling to and from Scotland when using your Travelpass.
- Valid on all Caledonian MacBrayne scheduled ferry services within Scotland.
- 20% discount on Northlink Ferries standard fares between Scrabster-Stromness; Aberdeen-Lerwick; and Aberdeen-Kirkwall-Lerwick. (Valid only on day of sailing, and applies to reclining seat fares only, not cabin inclusive).
- Full Terms and Conditions are subject to First ScotRail and can be found on their web site at www.ScotRail.co.uk.
- Upon presentation of a valid Pass, Passholders may collect a TravelPass Pack containing timetables and discount vouchers from the following stations: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh Waverly, Fort William, Glasgow Central & Queen Street, Inverness, Oban, Paisley Gilmour Street, Perth & Stirling.
Responsibility & Liability
ACP Rail International acts only as a booking agent. ACP Rail has no control over, and is not responsible for, any of the tours, Passes and other travel accommodations listed in or referred to on this website. All bookings are accepted and all tickets, Passes and vouchers are issued on the express condition that ACP Rail International is not responsible or liable for any loss (consequential or other-wise), damage (including but not limited to loss of or damage to Passenger' clothes, baggage, or other property whatsoever), death, injury, delay, inconvenience or irregularity caused by or arising out of or in connection with any defect in any vehicle or other land or sea conveyance used, rented or travelled in, or through the negligence, willful misconduct or other acts, defaults or omissions of any carrier, car rental company, hotel, restaurant or other provider of goods or services.
Every booking is accepted subject to the conditions, tariffs, and regulations imposed by the rail, shipping, bus, car rental, car insurance or other companies, firms or persons concerned.